Shooting Stars Nominations
Michaela Coel receiving an award as part of European Shooting Stars
23rd September 2019
Nominate emerging UK acting talent for recognition on an international stage.
The British Council is the UK member of European Film Promotion (EFP), the international network of organisations promoting and marketing European cinema worldwide.
Every year EFP runs a project called Shooting Stars, which presents up-and-coming European actors/actresses from ten different European countries to the international press, public and industry at the Berlin International Film Festival.
Each actor/actress is nominated by EFP member organisations, and a final selection of participants is then made by an international jury of industry professionals. These ten Shooting Stars are then introduced at the Berlinale through a series of high profile events, including the Shooting Stars Awards at the Berlinale Palast.
The programme also connects the Shooting Stars group with the international industry (including meetings with Casting Directors, Talent Agents and Producers).
Your chance to nominate an actor to be considered as the UK’s Shooting Star for Berlin 2020.
This is a great opportunity for a rising star to be celebrated on an international stage. It adds a newer talent to a roll call of stars who have previously been selected as the UK Shooting Stars - incuding George Mackay, Riz Ahmed, Andrea Riseborough, Cary Mulligan, Andrew Garfield, Daniel Craig, Rachel Wiesz, Maisie Williams, and most recently, Michaela Coel.
Do you have someone you might nominate to join us this year as the UK nomination? This can be someone you represent or have worked with on a recent project – or someone you have simply spotted this year and think might be appropriate.
- have already established a successful professional career in their home country
- speak fluent English
- be aged 16-32 yrs
- either have a lead role in a film which was released in the 2 years prior to the nomination (so not before October 2017) or be the lead in a film which is likely to screen at Berlinale 2020 (obviously this is not yet confirmed)
- be willing and available to attend the Berlin International Film Festival (February 20-25, 2019) and commit to participating in press work, photo shoots with sponsors, etc.
To nominate, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Actor’s name
- IMDB link
- Agent’s contact details
Please put Shooting Stars Nomination in the subject line, and send your nomination by Friday 4 October.
The successful UK nominee will then need to supply the following materials by Thursday 10 October 2019, for consideration by the full SHOOTING STARS jury:
- a colour digital portrait photo plus full body shot (high resolution - 210x148mm, 300 dpi)
- short biog / filmography
- contact details of agent and actor
- streaming link of the film related to the nomination, plus actor showreel.