Film Films 4 Freedom Global List 2016
Today Five Films 4 Freedom unveils its 2016 Global List of 33 inspiring people from around the world promoting freedom, equality and LGBT rights every day.
British Council colleagues from around the globe were involved in finding and nominating people who are using culture to promote freedom and equality, who are provoking debate, or are risking their lives to promote the rights of LGBT people in their society or country.
The Influencers unveiled today include:
- Geng Le, founder of China’s leading LGBT web portal and social media app Blued, which has 27 million users. Geng uses his platform to raise awareness of HIV prevention, workplace protection for LGBT people and campaigns for recognition of same sex marriage.
- Mahmoud Hassino, who started the first Syrian LGBT online magazine Mawaleh, and works at a Berlin-based refuge for LGBTI refugees.
- Bilge Tas, the director and co-founder of Pink Life QueerFest in Ankara, Turkey.
- Tiffany Kagure Mugo, co-founder and curator of HOLAA!, an online Pan Africanist Womanist hub that allows women to speak about their sexuality.
- HiaMyat Tun and Billy Stewart, the co-founders of &PROUD, the first LGBT film festival in Yangon, Myanmar. It was established to bring together the LGBT community in Myanmar and create greater awareness of issues facing LGBT communities across Asia.
- Dr Frank Mugisha, executive director of Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG) – a human rights network raising awareness of sexual orientation, gender identity and expression in Uganda. Today the network comprises 18 LGBTI organisations. Dr Mugisha was also a Nobel Peace Prize Nominee in 2014.
For the full list, including profiles and photos, please click here.