A group of convicts are duped into joining a difficult space mission in the belief they will be freed if they are successful. But, the authorities have no intention of ever letting them return to earth. They want the inmates to procreate and raise a child in space as part of a larger experiment.
The film follows the character of Monte a few years after the mission’s launch as he raises his daughter, Willow, in complete isolation on the empty spacecraft as it heads towards its final destination, a black hole. He fathered Willow against his will after his sperm was used to inseminate another convict in space as part of the experiment. In the process of raising her, however, he comes to experience real love for the first time in his life.
Claire Denis's first English language feature is "an adventure beyond the solar system set in a future that seems like the present".
- Type of film
- Claire Denis
- Laurence Clerc, Oliver Dungey, Christoph Friedel, Claudia Steffen, Olivier Théry-Lapiney, Klaudia Smeija, Andrew Lauren, D.J. Gugenheim
- Nelly Quettier
- Claire Denis, Jean-Pol Fargeau, Geoff Cox
- Director of Photography
- Agnes Godard
- Original Music and Sound Design: Stuart Staples, Tindersticks
- Principal Cast
- Robert Pattinson, Patricia Arquette, Mia Goth, Juliette Binoche, André Benjamin
- With the collaboration of
- Ólafur Eliasson (Artistic Director); Aurélien Barrau (Scientific Advisor); François-Renaud Labarthe (Set Design); Nick Laird, Zadie Smith (additional script material)
- Production supported by
- Arte France Cinema (FR), CNC (FR), Film and Medienstiftung NRW (DE), Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg (DE), Filmförderungsanstalt (DE), Arte/WDR (DE), DFFF (DE)
- Developed with the support of
- BFI (British Film Institute) (UK), Altaris in (UK)
- Financed by
- Polish Film Institute (PL)
Please let us know if we need to make any amendments to this Film entry mailing us directly at
Last updated 12th February 2018