A group of convicts is duped into joining a difficult space mission in the belief they will be freed if they are successful. But, the authorities have no intention of ever letting them return to earth. They want the inmates to procreate and raise a child in space as part of a larger experiment.
The film follows the character of Monte a few years after the mission’s launch as he raises his daughter, Willow, in complete isolation on the empty spacecraft as it heads towards its final destination, a black hole. He fathered Willow against his will after his sperm was used to inseminate another convict in space as part of the experiment. In the process of raising her, however, he comes to experience real love for the first time in his life.
Claire Denis's first English-language feature is "an adventure beyond the solar system set in a future that seems like the present".
Official Selection San Sebastian Film Festival 2018 - In Competition - World premiere
- Type of film
- Claire Denis
- Laurence Clerc, Oliver Dungey, Christoph Friedel, D.J. Gugenheim, Andrew Lauren, Klaudia Smeija, Claudia Steffen, Olivier Théry-Lapiney
- Executive Producer
- Julia Balaeskoul Nusseibeh, Isabel Davis
- Guy Lecorne
- Claire Denis, Jean-Pol Fargeau, Geoff Cox, Nick Laird
- Director of Photography
- Yorick Le Saux
- Production Designer
- Set Design: François-Renaud Labarthe
- Original Music and Sound Design: Stuart Staples, Tindersticks
- Principal Cast
- Robert Pattinson, Juliette Binoche, André Benjamin, Mia Goth, Lars Eidinger
- Film Image
- © 2018 Alcatraz Films, Pandora Filmproduktion, The Apocalypse Films, Madants
Please let us know if we need to make any amendments to this Film entry mailing us directly at
Last updated 13th July 2018