The Ambiguity of David Thomas Broughton
The Ambiguity of David Thomas Broughton is a music documentary following the creative process of one of the UK’s most enigmatic musicians and performers.
As a musical act, David Thomas Broughton is almost unclassifiable. His live shows are a exhilarating mix of musical experimentation and performance art, underlined by a raw unpredictability. His recorded material is dark but beautiful, marrying traditional folk with a surrealist edge. Off-stage, he’s an introvert with a passion for bird watching.
Who is the real David Thomas Broughton? Through a series of interviews with friends, family and collaborators, filmmaker Greg Butler attempts to unravel this ambiguity.
His journey takes him to David’s home town of Otley, where we track David’s creative process as he records new material to be played at the End of the Road Festival.
- Type of film
- Running Time
- 59 mins
- HD video
- Greg Butler 1st Feature
- Greg Butler
- Executive Producer
- James Strathallan, Matthew Luke Simpson
- Greg Butler
- Director of Photography
- David Rafique
- Production Designer
- Guy Fixsen
- David Thomas Broughton
- Principal Cast
- David Thomas Broughton, Sam Amidon, Jonathan Meiburg, Luke Drozd, Drew Millward, Mark Andrew Hamilton, James Yorkston, David Shrigley, Howard Monk, Chris Broughton, Kerry Andrews, Sonny Baker, Lucy Jamieson, John Rogers, Anthony Chalmers, Rob St John, Sar
- Nick Stewart
- Colour Grading & Online Editing
- Andy DeVries
- Sound Recordist
- River Ferris
- Camera Operators
- Jamie McMurray, David Cohen & Adam Ings
- Archive Footage
- Harry Wheeler, Anthony Hall, Wasp Video, Vincent Moon...
Please let us know if we need to make any amendments to this Film entry mailing us directly at
Last updated 20th October 2015