The King of Thieves
A caper film about the unlikely gang of retirees that pulled off the daring Hatton Garden jewellery heist of 2015.
Developed from Mark Seal's Vanity Fair piece 'The Over the Hill Mob', the film tells the story of the epic multi-million-pound robbery initially believed to be undertaken by a gang of super-thieves. The actual perpetrators were a group of tough-guy retired criminals in their late 60s and 70s — with all kinds of physical maladies — who were mostly unoccupied and bored, until they consulted a bunch of how-to books and figured out a way to pull off one last hurrah over a long weekend in April 2015.
Entering the Hatton Garden Safe Deposit Company property via a lift shaft, they drilled through the 50cm thick vault walls with heavy machinery and escaped with a haul estimated to be worth around £200 million.
- Type of film
- James Marsh
- Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Michelle Wright
- Executive Producer
- Didier Lupfer, Jenny Borgars, Danny Perkins
- Joe Penhall (screenplay), Mark Seal (magazine article), Duncan Campbell (source material)
- Principal Cast
- Michael Caine, Tom Courtenay, Ray Winstone, Jim Broadbent, Charlie Cox, Paul Whitehouse, Michael Gambon, Francesca Annis
- Film Title Note
- aka Night in Hatton Garden/ Untitled Hatton Garden Heist film/ The Over the Hill Mob
Please let us know if we need to make any amendments to this Film entry mailing us directly at
Last updated 12th February 2018