The Man from Mo'Wax (aka Artist and Repertoire)
The extraordinary life and career of underground DJ icon, music producer, and global trip hop mogul, James Lavelle. The story of one teenager’s ambition to passionately pursue creating quality music at any cost, and the friendships, fall outs, successes and failures that come with it.
Spanning three decades, with exclusive access to personal home footage, this is a rare opportunity to watch a boy become a man in the world of music. Witnessing him experience a whirlwind journey of personal and professional highs and lows, from the rapid rise of his record label Mo'Wax, to becoming a millionaire by the age of 21 and forming the super band UNKLE, with DJ Shadow.
A profile of one man's constant battle between art and commerce and how to survive as he continually strives for more.
Official Selection BFI London Film Festival 2016 - Sonic Strand
- Type of film
- Running Time
- 109 mins
- Multiformat - mastered digitally at HD
- Matthew Jones 1st Feature
- M J McMahon, Brian A. Hoffman, Matthew Jones
- Executive Producer
- Jay Hoffman, Mary Burke, Kirsty Bell
- Alec Rossiter
- Director of Photography
- Morgan Spencer
- Tom Foster, Liam Paton
- Liam Paton, James Lavelle
- Principal Cast
- James Lavelle, DJ Shadow, Ian Brown, 3D (Massive Attack), Josh Homme, Grandmaster Flash, DJ Krush, Thom Yorke, Badly Drawn Boy, Jarvis Cocker
- Head Archive Researcher
- Lee Holmes; Archive Researchers