About British Council Film
British Council Film is the link between UK films and filmmakers and new international audiences. Together with the British Council’s global network overseas we work to profile the innovation, diversity, creativity and excellence of British films around the world, and work to find opportunities for creative exchange between UK filmmakers and international counterparts.
'Camara Chica' - our Into Film partnership project with young people in Venezuela
What does British Council's Film team do?
- Works with a worldwide network and a range of international partners to develop imaginative film projects, including curating programmes of contemporary British films, advising on international events (festivals, seminars, masterclasses, workshops, UK/European film weeks, multi-arts festivals etc), and arranging for filmmakers and expert film industry specialists to represent the UK abroad.
- Provides a preview screening service for selectors from major film festivals, including Berlin, Cannes, Toronto and Sundance.
- Compiles the British Films Directory (incorporating ‘Films in Production’) alongside two additional comprehensive Directories of International Festivals and Filmmakers.
- Represents the UK within European Film Promotion (EFP), supporting new talent by nominating participants for Shooting Stars (rising star actors showcased annually at Berlin) and 'Producers on the Move' (professional development and networking for producers at Cannes and Toronto), as well as approving grants for films eligible for festival film sales support at major non-European festivals.
- Operates the Short Support Scheme selecting new UK short films to promote at international festivals, and runs an associated Travel Grant fund to help shorts filmmakers attend certain international film festivals.
Please note: we do not invest in the development or production of films, or provide grants to enable filmmakers to attend professional training courses.
British Council Film is a part of the Arts Group within the British Council, which works across 109 countries to build trust and opportunity for the UK through the exchange of knowledge, experience and ideas worldwide.
If you have any queries about us or the information on this site, please contact us on email@example.com
FAQS ABOUT THIS SITE
How can I submit a film to the British Films Directory?
Films can be added to our Films Directory by completing the form on this page.
I'm a director, can you list me in your Directory of Directors?
To be listed in the Directory of Directors you will need to have directed at least one feature film that has received a UK theatrical release or been selected at an FIAPF-accredited festival (these are highlighted in our Festivals Directory, or you can check on the FIAPF website). If you think you qualify, please email your filmography including the production years, agents details, awards and a photo of yourself to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I change the details of my festival's listing?
Go to the festival's page in the directory; at the bottom of the page, click on the 'update this information' link. You will need to have access to the email address contained in the listing to change the details this way.
I need to change the details for my festival but don't have access to the email address listed, can you help?
Email us at email@example.com and we'll fix it.
How do I submit a new festival to the Festivals Directory?
Festivals can be added to the directory by completing the form on this page.
Do you have a mailing list? How do I sign up?
Yes, we do have a mailing list. You can sign up by clicking on the 'subscribe' button at the bottom of this page, under Follow Us.
I've spotted a mistake on your site, who can I get to rectify it?
We'd be grateful if you would drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll fix it.
Help! My question isn't listed above, what can I do?
If you have a query about this website or British Council Film's work, please email us at email@example.com.