Come and help us support new talent!
7th June 2018
As one of our brilliant Film Programme Managers, Alice Cabanas, takes up a new role as BFI’s Talent Exec for the South West, we're looking for someone to step into her shoes. Could that be you?
British Council’s Film department is looking for an energetic and creative film professional to join our team as our Film Programme Manager – Shorts/Global Exhibition. It's a part time role developing our programme of new talent support and it’s based in London for an initial one year period.
British Council’s Film team is the link between UK films and filmmakers and new international audiences. We work with our global network of colleagues in over 100 countries to profile the innovation, diversity, creativity and excellence of British films around the world, and to find opportunities for creative exchange between film communities in the UK and those elsewhere. It's a huge programme including
- a comprehensive Film Festival Selector screening programme showcasing new UK features to the world’s premier film festivals;
- major international screenings programmes in partnership with industry organisations from BFI and BAFTA to INTO FILM and Grierson Trust;
- #FiveFilms4Freedom, a vast digital campaign in partnership with BFI Flare, which screened five international LGBTQ+ short films to an audience of over 6.3 million worldwide earlier this year;
- an ever-increasing programme of innovative workshops with young filmmakers in Venezuela, displaced Syrians in Jordan, screenwriters in Nigeria, gamers and alternative realities experts in the Western Balkans and much more
We have a crack team of Programme Managers who look after our activities - and we need someone to help us direct our shorts/new talent work.
As our Film Programme Manager you will work to ensure the development, implementation and management of high-quality, strategic Film programmes which add value to the UK film sector, meet specific regional requirements, and support the British Council’s cultural relations objectives by providing specialist expertise to British Council offices overseas.
This role has three equal elements:
- Development and co-delivery of our Short Film activity offering support to the UK’s short film community, staging events, managing our programme of Travel Grants, and overseeing international short film showcase opportunities;
- Leading on a range of offers for the Film team’s global exhibition programme including specifically delivery of our ‘EU Film Festival’ offer;
- Taking responsibility for the general programme of Film activity in one region of the world.
You will have a track record of delivering film exhibition projects at varying scales, (which may be as an employee or on a volunteer basis); recent experience in short film, either in exhibition, development or production, and a background in either film event production, programme curation, or in press, marketing or distribution. You should be able to demonstrate knowledge of and enthusiasm for UK films and filmmakers, a keen interest in the UK industry, an awareness of who’s making what, and an understanding of the international Film Festival map. In addition you will need a good network of contemporary contacts across the UK film sector particularly in short film, sales and production communities, and proven ability to write effectively for a variety of different audiences.
This is a part time role - 3 days per week - so will very much suit someone who wants to maintain and develop their industry links.
Salary range is £26,016 - £33,112 plus London allowance of £3,300 (pro rata) – and offers generous holiday and other benefits.
Full details and how to apply are here - and deadline is Sunday 1 July.