Apply for a Short Film/ VR Festival Travel Grant
We offer grants to help short filmmakers and VR makers travel to international festivals where their work is being screened.
Covid-19: Travel grants have re-opened
2021 update - Please note that while many international events are still suspended we have cautiously re-opened our Travel Grant application process. If you have been invited to attend a key festival in person please make an application below or email email@example.com
We are in regular communication with a range of Festival partners over their plans to stage events, virtually or in real life. Have a look at our regularly updated document here to see who is doing what.
Read about the British Council's film activities amid Covid-19 and get details on how to stay connected with us.
Calling all VR makers!
As the landscape for international festivals and showcase events has shifted as a result of the pandemic, many events are now operating as either online or hybrid events. We are acutely aware that while new online VR viewing platforms are enabling you to access international audiences (which is great!), they also often come with additional expenses for makers needing to adapt to different platforms.
Good news is that our Travel Grant funds are able to support your work to travel even while you can’t. You can now make an application for support towards:
- Preparing your instructions for the exhibition of your piece
- Integrating your work with a festival’s online platform
- Developing the accessibility of your piece and producing accessibility assets
- Versioning and development
- and more...
Whilst we all pivot online we want to support you to showcase your work internationally in as many ways as we can. If you would like to discuss costs to exhibit your work internationally please contact Francesca.firstname.lastname@example.org
Funding to attend international film festivals and events
Short filmmakers, as well as makers producing virtual reality / immersive storytelling experiences and installations, can apply for Travel Grants to attend international film festivals and events where their work is being screened.
Our Grants help you present your work abroad, develop new networks, reach new audiences and increase the exposure of new UK film and film talent internationally.
- Grants range from £100 to a maximum of £1,500
- Grants offer a contribution towards travel and accommodation costs, but may not always cover the full cost of attendance
- Applicants screening in European festivals can expect a smaller grant than those screening in festivals which require a long haul journey
- All grants are based on a UK starting destination
- Applications can be made by a project's director, producer or writer, who must be aged 18 or above.
- All applicants must have had their short film / project selected by at least one of the festivals on the British Council’s Key Festivals List, and must provide evidence of festival selection
- The film or project must be no more than 60 minutes long.
- Each film or project can receive a maximum of three grants.
- Each film or project can receive a maximum of one grant per festival.
Access and support
If you have specific access needs please talk to us about what additional help may be available to Short Film Festival Travel Grant recipients – for example additional funds to facilitate travel with a BSL interpreter or access worker.
In the interest of sustainability, Travel Grant recipients are encouraged to travel to European events by train, and may be supported with additional funding to do so. Please note your travel plans in your application and give an estimated cost.
How to apply
Before you begin, download and read the Short Film Festival Travel guidelines.
- a copy of your festival acceptance letter or email
- an online link to your film, and password if applicable.
- The Short Film Festival Travel Grant is a partnership with BFI NETWORK.