More Films for Freedom: Round 2
We've partnered with BFI Network/BFI Flare for a second year to offer three commissions of up to £20,000 to make an LGBTIQ+ themed short film in an international collaboration. The grant will cover all stages of production, delivery of materials and team travel. The three films will be eligible to screen at next year’s BFI Flare: London LGBTIQ+ Film Festival in March.
What is More Films for Freedom?
The project builds on Five Films for Freedom, our digital campaign celebrating LGBTIQ+ stories from around the world. More than 14 million people in 202 countries have watched Five Films for Freedom since it began in 2015.
When selecting films for Five Films we noticed a gap in stories from the African continent and the Middle East submitted for Five Films for Freedom. Following successful commissions in 2020, we’re looking to commission three new collaborations between filmmakers from the UK and those regions.
What are we looking for?
Applicants will need to demonstrate their collaborative international approach and include an experienced, UK-based producer capable of delivering projects with an international component.
- Ideas for short films 5-10 minutes long.
- Projects exploring LGBTIQ+ themes including global human rights, intersectionality and diaspora identity.
- Collaborations between filmmakers from the UK, the African continent and the Middle East.
- Films in any genre including fiction, documentary or animation, and in any language.
- Applications close at 11.59PM, Sunday 16th August
- Shortlisted projects will take part in a virtual interview with BFI and British Council staff in early September 2020
- Delivery of final films: 15 February 2021
Application deadline: 11:59pm, Sunday 16th August