About the film
Julius Caesar - Act III, Scene 2 - The Forum Scene.
- Release year - 1945
- Director - Henry Cass
- Production company - G.B. Instructional, Theatrecraft Ltd
- Producer - Sydney Box
- Cinematographer - Ernest Palmer
- Composer - Ben Frankel
- Editor - Julian Wintle
- Sound recording - George Burgess, L. Clark
- Musical director - Muir Mathieson
- Performers - Felix Aylmer (Marcus Brutus), Leo Genn (Marcus Antonius), John Slater (Mob), Emrys Jones (Mob), Frederick Cooper (Mob), Ben Williams (Mob), Grace Allardyce (Mob), Arthur Hambling (Mob), Sydney Monckton (Mob)
- Production Design - Compton Bennet
- Music Played By - London Symphony Orchestra
- Associate Producer - Knox Laing
- Art Director - James Carter
- Costume - Dorothy Sinclair
- Make-up - Nell Taylor
- Running time (minutes) - 18 mins 36 secs
'The above excerpts* from Shakespeare have been filmed in order to enable those who have no opportunity of attending performances of Shakespearean plays in a theatre to see how the various parts are played by leading English actors and actresses.'
(Films of Britain - British Council Film Department Catalogue - 1946)
* Refers also to companion piece, Macbeth.
Did you know?
- Actor John Slater, seen in this film as a member of the mob, also features as the narrator and worker in Each For All.
- In 1935-1936, Leo Genn (here playing Mark Antony) had starred in a production of 'Julius Caesar' at the Old Vic Theatre, London, which was also directed by Henry Cass. Felix Aylmer also features in British Council film Macbeth (1945) as the Doctor.
All films are subject to the Creative Commons licence guidelines.
Learn more about how to use to the film archive.
You might also be interested in:
Sign up to our newsletter
Get the latest updates and advice on applications, scholarships, visas and events.