About the film
Macbeth - Act II, Scene 2, and Act V, Scene 1 - murder and sleep-walking scene.
- Release year - 1945
- Director - Henry Cass
- Production company - G.B. Instructional, Theatrecraft, Ltd.
- Producer - Sydney Box
- Cinematographer - Ernest Palmer
- Composer - Ben Frankel
- Editor - Julian Wintle
- Sound recording - George Burgess, L. Clark
- Musical director - Muir Mathieson
- Performers - Wilfred Lawson (Macbeth), Cathleen Nesbitt (Lady Macbeth), Felix Aylmer (Doctor), Catherine Lacey (Gentlewoman)
- Music played by - London Symphony Orchestra
- Production design - Compton Bennett
- Associate producer - Knox Laing
- Art director - James Carter
- Costume - Dorothy Sinclair
- Make-up - Nell Taylor
- Running time (minutes) - 15 mins 36 secs
Murder and sleep-walking scene
'The above excerpts* from Shakespeare have been filmed in order to enable those who have no opportunity of attending performances of Shakespearean plays in a theatre to see how the various parts are played by leading English actors and actresses.'
(Films of Britain - British Council Film Department Catalogue - 1946)
*Refers also to companion piece, Macbeth.
Did you know?
- Cathleen Nesbitt and Wilfred Lawson both appeared in Fanny by Gaslight (1944) – the second most popular film of 1944.
- Felix Aylmer also features in the British Council film Julius Caesar (1945) as ‘Marcus Brutus’.
All films are subject to the Creative Commons licence guidelines.
Learn more about how to use to the film archive.
You might also be interested in:
Sign up to our newsletter
Get the latest updates and advice on applications, scholarships, visas and events.